Babies Castle was built by Barnado’s in 1886 as the largest home for orphaned babies and young children. It closed in 1965.
It was subsequently reopened as a nursing home and the name changed to Hawkhurst Castle. It closed again in the 1990’s. It was open to hildren under 8 yrs of age of all creeds and colours.
Now abandonded and derelict the 2 acre site has permission for demolition and rebuilding of a new nursing home and houses.